Wednesday, March 14, 2007


I’m keeping the tradition of telling something interesting about my country. This time I’m not gonna write about some place, but I’ll tell you about my favorite mineral instead.

Gintaras or amber is sometimes called the gold of the Baltic’s (3 small countries with coasts on the Baltic Sea – Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia). I have read that this stone is found even in Canada, the USA, Brazil and Mexico. However, 90% of amber is extracted in the Baltic region, mainly on the Kaliningrad seashore.

Amber is the fossilized resin of ancient trees. Sometimes you can see various insects or pieces of moss fossilized in amber! It is like a piece of art by the Mother Nature :) By the way, did you know how ancient amber is? It can be from 30 to 90 million years old!!

Amber is found in a wide range of colors: from bright and transparent yellow to orange or even to opaque black. My favorite color is yellow :) I just love the feeling of amber near my skin; therefore I have various jewelries made from it. It is said that amber can heal certain illnesses if you wear it every day. For example, a necklace of unpolished (!!) amber could help heal the thyroid illnesses.

Almost in every Lithuanian souvenir shop, you will see a lot of beautiful things including pictures and jewelry made of amber. And the prices are relatively cheap (if you would compare to Canadian prices :).

2 comments:

Scott Douglas said...

My uncle was from Poland and he gave me a pair of cufflinks made from amber when I was a little kid. I still have them!

Happy Amy said...

Wow... I began to be interested in ur culture... I have am amber, but it is artificially made, but natural..... An natural one must cost a lot...haha~